In 1719 Antoni Serra, father of Junipero, received the house from his brother by donation. The building was probably in a bad condition and had to be renovated. The first reference that Miquel Josep and his parents lived inside dates from 1727, when the boy was 14 years old. That is the house that Junipero identifies as his home after he entered the Franciscan order. The house was inherited by his sister, who sold it later. With the passing of the years the relationship between Junipero and the house was forgotten until in 1931 the historian Miquel Ramis did identify it and promoted the acquisition of the house by the Rotary Club. The Rotary Club undertook the task of restoring the house like it was in the 18th century. The architect that led the work was Guillem Forteza. In 1932 it was donated to the Town of San Francisco and opened to the visitors. The house is located at the Barracar Alt, one of the oldest streets of the town that possibly existed before the foundation of the royal village in 1300. Currently belongs to the foundation HOUSE SERRA.
Casa Juniper Serra
Bookmark the permalink.