Casa de la Vila, la Sala (Town hall)

It is located in carrer de l´Hospital, not far away from the square we mentioned above. In this building was founded at the end of the 15th or at the beginning of the 16th century the hospital of the village. This institution worked until the 18th century. Later it became also the university in the town and the town hall, Casa Consistorial; for this function the building was refurbished in 1837. It was then that the clock tower was built.

In the plenary hall among other paintings of illustrious figures of the town, there are the paintings of Father Junipero Serra and his nephew Father Miquel of Petra. The painting that represents Junipero Serra is probably from the end of the 18th or beginning of the 19th century, and it is, like mentioned, very similar to the painting revered in the church. The painting that represents the Father Miquel of Petra probably dates from the 19th century.

In this plenary hall it is also worthy of admiration the polychrome mural painting from 1612, that represents the crucified Christ with St. John and St. Mary Magdalene at the foot of the cross. At the upper sides the mural has two shields of Petra.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed