In 1719 Antoni Serra, father of Junipero, received the house from his brother by donation. The building was probably in a bad condition and had to be renovated. The first reference that Miquel Josep and his parents lived inside dates from 1727, when the boy was 14 years old. That is the house that Junipero identifies as his home after he entered the Franciscan order.
The house was inherited by his sister, who sold it later. With the passing of the years the relationship between Junipero and the house was forgotten until in 1931 the historian Miquel Ramis did identify it and promoted the acquisition of the house by the Rotary Club. The Rotary Club undertook the task of restoring the house like it was in the 18th century. The architect that led the work was Guillem Forteza. In 1932 it was donated to the Town of San Francisco and opened to the visitors.
The house is located at the Barracar Alt, one of the oldest streets of the town that possibly existed before the foundation of the royal village in 1300. It represents the traditional mallorcan town house of a farmer family in the 17th and 18th centuries. The property consists of two parts, the first divided in two floors. The walls are made of stone and mortar. On the ground floor is a main doorway with a semicircular arch. On the side another entrance that leads to the coach house. On the upper floor there are two small windows with stone ledges. Indoors the walls are whitewashed. A diminished arch separates the two parts of the house and a stone way connects the main door with the door of the yard located at the back of the house. This stone way was used for taking the animals like horses or donkeys from the street to the house yard. To the left of the entrance there is the stair that leads to the “sala vella” (room assigned to storage agricultural tools and products) and to the main bedroom. On the left of the second part of the house is located the kitchen with the traditional elements: fire place, pots, wash bowl etc, and a small bedroom that could belong to the sister of Junipero. On the right there is a stable for the animals, with a department for the straw above where the children that did not have an own bed room used to sleep. In the yard there is a bread oven and the piggery.
Currently belongs to the foundation HOUSE SERRA.